Jan 25, 2023
Interview with Ben Hohnke
Today's interview is with Ben Hohnke, founder of Hohnke
Outdoors! A frothing spearo and land-based hunter with an
entrepreneurial mind, listen in on his journey through spearfishing
from being an absolute Noob Spearo to now. He has several recipes
in our 99
Spearo Recipes book and has created some amazing spice rubs
that you can order for seafood, white meat and red meat or game. We
have a good chat about taking "trash" fish, better ways to harvest
abalone and have a good discussion about the influential spearos
that helped Ben improve to the spearo he is today, as well as the
concept of "Gatekeepers" and the role they play in new divers
getting into the sport. Go visit HohnkeOutdoors.com and see the
awesome products they have and go subscribe to their Youtube
channel as well!
- 00:13 Intro
- 01:30 Old Man Blue voice message
- 03:30 Welcome Ben Hohnke from Hohnke Outdoors! Who are you and
where do you come from?
- 11:05 Where did you grow up and start spearfishing?
- 18:05 How efficiently did you buy your gear?
- 22:30 How do you stay diving fit? Pool training?
- 28:15 Diving alone
- 32:00 Finding edible treasure in "trash" fish
- 34:25 Tell us about your Hohnke Outdoors Spice
- 47:30 Learning curves and gatekeepers
- 56:15 What hunting tips have you learned to get results?
- 59:35 Scary stuff
- 01:02:35 Staying hydrated while spearfishing
- 01:06:20 Spearfishing mentors: @wetmammal, @the_hairy_spearo,
- 01:08:40 Harvesting abalone
Foraging Nature - Nature Cards
- 01:18:25 Funny stuff
- 01:22:35 Spearo Q&A
- 01:29:20 99 Spearo
- 01:34:50 Outro
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes