Nov 10, 2021
Interview with Spencer Allen
Today's episode is with Spencer Allen from California. He is an
all in spearo that has fully embraced the lifestyle and has been a
big contributer to the 99 Spearo Recipes book. His cooking is even
better than his spearfishing! After losing all his gear in a house
fire, he stopped hunting and never really got back into it until he
started kayak fishing. After being smashed attempting a big surf
launch he almost gave it up again, but decided not to quit. He
found some buddies to take him out again and ended up catching a 41
inch Halibut. He has been hooked ever since! Join us as we chat
about spearfishing and cooking, the Channel Islands, finding
buddies and ways to be a better spearo. Let us know what you think
about this episode!
- 00:13 Intro and 99 Spearo Recipes messages
- 05:25 Welcome Spencer! Tell us about yourself!
- 09:07 What is a yard sale and how do you launch in the
- 11:39 I hooked a 41 inch Halibut!
- 12:18 What is your fishing/hunting history?
- 13:58 Spencer
- 14:30 How did you transition from the surface to hunting
- 16:27 Spearfishing clubs vs doing a course
- 19:47 Paying someone to help you start vs taking someone
- 20:54 How did you find buddies and into the spearfishing
- 22:46 First experience with a pole spear
- 23:37 Tell us about the first pole spear you got and how you
have upgraded it
- 25:23 Scallop foraging and hunting groups that go after only 1
- 27:37 Tips for bringing in fish and your first Sheepshead
- 29:39 I feel more like an otter, explain. Dive Camp Videos
pt 1 and
- 31:44 Decision making in spearfishing
- 33:40 Establishing fundamentals and experimenting with
- 38:38 Meat Eater and hunting mammals
- 40:01 Nature is brutal and cruel at times
- 40:50 Have you cooked with Octopus?
- 41:27 Umami - tell us more
- 43:39 Overcooking - how do you cook your fish for the right
- 45:02 Why do people think that undercooked meat is unsafe?
- 47:31 99 Spearo Recipes that you have submitted
- 49:33 As we get better we target better tasting species - this
can take away from our cooking skills
- 52:10 "What can I do with what I have?"
- 54:47 Tell us about Uni - urchins, why do people automatically
turn their nose up at it?
- 57:15 Flavour profiles of urchin in different areas and
- 01:00:52 Getting trophy scallops on oil rigs
- 01:04:08 You work in a high pressure career and decided to take
a sabbatical which lead you into making videos
- 01:09:05 Who are your favourite influential spearos?
- 01:10:22 Stewardship vs Gate Keeping: finding buddies and
making spearfishing welcoming to people
- 01:15:00 Values, circumstances and interests: being clear about
what you goals are and difficult conversations
- 01:18:44 Boats vs kayak fishing - kayak's have their own
- 01:21:04 Memorable experiences in the Channel Islands
- 01:22:18 What are the conditions like in the Channel
- 01:23:45 What are the funniest stories you have from
spearfishing? Punching to dispatch
- 01:28:00 Do you still fish from the surface?
- 01:29:27 Freediving community in SoCal and equalizing
- 01:32:21 Freediving courses - is more than a level 1
- 01:35:33 What's in your gear bag?
- 01:39:26 Spearo Q&A
- Describe the spearfishing experience in 1 sentence
- Most influential people in spearfishing
- If you had to start all over, what would you do
- Who's the best person to go spearfishing with?
- What is your dream spearfishing destination?
- What do you do to combat imposter syndrome
- 01:44:04 Last piece of advice
- 01:44:43 Outro
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes