Jun 1, 2021
Interview with Harry Foster - the Master Chef Spearo
Today's interview is with Harry Foster, the Masterchef Spearo!
Apart from being an exceptional chef, he is also an absolute
frother when it comes to spearing and has a passion for connecting
the catching to the cooking. Learn some chef skills that every
spearo should know, what kitchen utensils you should have and the
biggest mistakes spearos make with fish in the kitchen! We've
included two of the recipes mentioned in the show so you can go
have a go yourself!
Whether working as a chef on a remote island or out spearing or
even just taking pictures, he has a wealth of knowledge on the
natural world and the animals that live around him. His Instagram
stories will show you exactly what we mean. We think you will enjoy
today's episode and we hope that you will try the recipes! Let us
know your thoughts in the comments!
If you haven't seen his Instagram page yet, do yourself a favour
and go look! Also
check out his
website for some amazing recipes!
- 01:00 Joe Murphy message
- 02:05 Old Man Blue voicenote
- 04:30 Welcome Harry Foster, how did you begin
- 05:58 Diving in Far North Queensland
- 07:42 How far away are you from the Great Barrier Reef?
- 08:55 The appeal of inshore reefs and bad conditions
- 10:02 What made you a hunter?
- 11:43 Dealing with saltwater crocodiles
- 14:56 Early obstacles
- 16:30 Northern
Freediver Facebook group
- 17:56 Spearfishing culture and the reason for the Noob Spearo
- 20:10 Shooting his first footballer
- 22:50 Harry's spearfishing ethos
- 23:36 How did you get into photography?
- 24:52 Getting great shots
- 27:03 What has been your photography journey and what about
- 29:44 Catch cook videos
- 30:50 The trouble with film making
- 32:28 What do you spend your time on?
- 35:21 You've accomplished a lot, let's talk about your chef
- 36:00 How did you become a chef?
- 37:26 Connecting the catching with the cooking
- 39:12 How to get great quality fish
- 41:08 What is the process of caring for your catch?
- 44:48 Dry aging
- 46:02 Slurry tips
- 48:20 What to do when you get home
- 51:16 What chef skills that every spearo should learn?
- 52:26 Using the whole animal
- 53:54 Using more of the fish
- 55:30 99 Spearo Recipes
- 56:48 Where to find Harry
- 57:50 Kingfish Ceviche
- 61:54 Octopus preparation
- 65:06 Great advice for cooking
- 35:38 Caring for the catch
- 66:22 My Octopus Teacher (My
Octopus Teacher: The Sequel)
- 68:03 What's in your gear bag?
- 70:00 Funny stuff
- 71:54 First Spanish Mackeral
- 73:25 Spearo Q&A
- Marine tattoos
- Favourite dive buddy
- Spearfishing in one sentance
- 77:52 Thanks and goodbye
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes