Feb 9, 2021
Another Interview with Adam Stern
YOUR BURNING FREEDIVING AND EQUALIZING QUESTIONS
ANSWERED BY ADAM STERN
This episode is a live call with Patron listeners and whole
bunch of questions from the Noob Spearo Community on Facebook and
@noobspearo on Instagram! In this episode we cover breath-hold and
depth training questions, how to choose a freediving instructor,
deep spearfishing (avoiding squeeze) questions, equalizing
questions and more. Lot's of funny moments including Adam scalding
his balls. Enjoy:)
- 5:00 Ben Vittino "I just want
to know how he’s so happy and enthusiastic all the time. Love his
- Isaac “I have a question but first I need to
know, Do you ever feel down? When you do, what do you do to get
back Adam 187% Stern?"
- Dale Bartush "I'd also like to know what he
thinks about in free fall. Not what he tells people to do lop but
what he actually thinks and feels."
- 14:00 Scalded Ballsack Moment
16:15 TRAINING BREATH-HOLD QUESTIONS
- Ethan Yeo "Would you say going out
spearfishing is going to make you in become a better diver vs doing
freediving training in the pool?"
- Isaac "How can you increase your bottom time?"
and "How can I hold my breath longer?"
- Isaac "Is bloodshift a physiological response
that can be trained?"
- Damian Mckay "What are the best exercises to
get more bottom time/depth?"
- @pickford_cole "If he had to pick between
dynamic pool training and static, which would he choose?"
- Isaac "is increased muscle mass problematic to
- Isaac "what are some safety considerations for
- Isaac “How much does your attitude towards
contractions affect them?”
- Isaac “Are your own ideas or your own
limitations the biggest barrier to longer breath-holds and deeper
diving?” What is the best way to overcome these?
42:00 EQUALIZING QUESTIONS
- R Andrew Baker "Can everyone hands free
- Jake Cross "What are the common issues with
equalising? E.g one ear equalises before the other."
- Adam Stern Equalizing Online Classes
freedivefamily.com. Use the Code NOOBSPEARO to save
- Isaac "If you put a month into training your
equalization and Eustachian Tubes, how long will that adaptation
49:55 DEEPER FREEDIVE SPEARFISHING
- Kurt Raymond "How do you equalise when you go
past that 30+meter mark? I recently dived to 30mtrs on a course and
I felt like I had to equalise slightly differently once I hit
around the 25mtr mark. I’ve heard of having to bring air back into
your mouth. I wasn’t down there for long enough to work out what
was going on but I was still able to equalise, just slightly
differently to normal. Is there dry training you can do for this
- Joe Pedro "Can you share your wisdom on chin
tuck dive & what injuries can be caused by looking (neck extended)
out in front of you; typical Spearfishing form compared to proper
diver form..the little things that cause nightmares due to lack of
“under pressure” knowledge basically."
- Mackenzie Logan “I have a Similar question to
Joe Pedro. Once you start going over 30m-40m how long does it take
your body to acclimatize to the new depths? If you've done all your
stretches and relaxing on the top perfectly, what are some of the
little things like neck movements that we should be careful of and
how long/how many dives to depth until you can start to move your
head a little more comfortably?”
To elaborate on this: I think there will be 2 answers depending
on whether we are spearfishers vs freedivers..
- If you are spearfishing and it is either your first time diving
to these depths or you only go diving once a month or so how will
this affect your "training adaptations" of diving to that depth?
Will you lose them each time you go out again to dive?
- If you're freediving and training frequently will you be able
to improve and keep your training adaptations. I think in your last
interview he said he could come back after a month or so of not
training and pretty much start again from where he had been diving
- Thomas Ripard "I'd also like to ask about
deeper diving. Once you start to get more comfortable with getting
to 30m(ish), is there anything in particular one needs to do to
prepare yourself to get past the 30m mark? Also anything safety
related one should be aware of as you get past 30m? Cheers!
Discovering the noobspearo podcast was the best thing that happened
to me in 2020, keep em coming
66:00 OTHER QUESTIONS
- Rob James "When is
Adam having an underwater UFC rematch with
- Craig McNiven "What are the hurdles of running
a free diving business, cashflow, cancellations, COVID, marketing
and customer retention. Is it like a dream to do what you love for
an income every day? Could you get the business to a point where it
could be run without you?"
- Jason Harris "Not strictly diet related.. but
does Adam have any food items he avoids when leading up to a dive
day to keep the sinus systems clean"
- Isaac "Can we have the Dairy and Mucus
Production Urban Legend Discussion?"
- @nicholasmorsecodes "How many wetsuits does he
own? 10+ at least! where does he keep them all?"
79:50 WHEN IS ADAM COMING TO MY PART OF THE
- @scubasteve212 "Will he do a freediving course
in Batemans bay in the future 🙌"
- @bard_antonsen "First: thank you so much for
your podcast! I have learned a lot by listening to most of your
episodes. I started freediving 2 years ago. I had to participate in
a freediving class since my son was too young to go alone. I was
afraid and far away from my comfort zone. I overcome my fears and
now I love the water. Question to Adam: I'd love to meet him, but I
live in Norway and have a low budget. Will there be any chance to
see him in the land of the big halibuts? Our coast is amazing. I'm
just saying... An event with Adam in Norway would be epic🤩"
- @mansoor_hsd "When he come Lakshadweep
83:50 PATRON LISTENER LIVE QUESTIONS
- Greg Rothaus "Hi Adam, I'm 62. What's your
advice to older divers with regards to training and
- Greg Rothaus "I am going on a month long
freedive training retreat in Dahab, Egypt. How do you recommend I
make the most of a trip like this?
- Captain Dan Walsh comments of
teaching/freediving as a job, Eustashian tube solutions and advice
for older divers.
- Stu Harwood "I find after a day spearing I am
absolutely rooted, do you have any tips for mitigating this?
- Duncan Henderson "With equalizing, do you do
one grouper call on the way down or multiple grouper calls?"
How to Connect with Adam and Further
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes