Mar 15, 2023
Interview with Øystein Sundland
Today's interview is with Øystein Sundland from the Havkontoret
Norwegian Spearfishing Podcast and we talk all things Norway
spearfishing! If Norway wasn't on your bucket list for spearfishing
destinations, now it will be! Cold water, big fish, bigger sharks,
night diving and some amazing scenery for when you surface, Norway
is a semi-hidden gem in the spearfishing world! Hear some stories
and get info from a local Norwegian spearo about the spearfishing
in Norway, what gear you need and what fish you can expect to
encounter. Øystein runs a Norwegian spearfishing
podcast called Havkontoret, if you speak the language then here
is an amazing resource for you! Have you been diving in Norway? Let
us know your experience in the comments!
- 00:13 Intro
- 05:25 Welcome Øystein!
- 07:50 Tell us about the Havkontoret podcast and how you started
- 11:45 What is the vision for your podcast?
- 13:30 Norwegian fish farms
- 17:15 What is the spearfishing scene in Norway like?
- 18:55 Dill and Scallop pasta
- 22:30 Halibut! What is it like hunting them?
- 27:40 Massive Monkfish on little Christmas eve: how to hunt and
- 36:45 Your family has some freediving and fishing history
- 40:50 The spearo lifestyle
- 44:55 Hunting using the tidal currents
- 49:30 Keeping spearfishing spots secret
- 50:25 You have some awesome podcast guests - the Turbot King!
And other fish species to hunt in Norway
- 54:30 How to spearfish in Norway
- 56:40 Spearfishing Coalfish
- 01:00:20 What wetsuit are you wearing? A Frivannsliv 7mm
- 01:01:30 Diving in fjords
- 01:03:15 Norway spearfishing regulations and licenses
- 01:10:50 What's in your gear bag?
- 01:12:15 Rig line, float and flag
- 01:16:15 Do you have fishing competition from line
- 01:18:55 Scary stuff
- 01:20:30 Buddy diving vs diving alone
- 01:25:40 Funny stuff
- 01:28:05 Getting caught in the current
- 01:30:40 Spearo Q&A
- 01:33:30 Thanks for being on the show! Where can people find
- 01:36:20 Outro
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes