Nov 9, 2022
Interview with Barry Paxman!
Today's interview is with Barry Paxman! The legend himself, the
creator of Aussie Reels, he's been spearfishing for 60 years and
has some epic stories to share from his time out in the water. From
some scary shark stories to the thrill of hunting Wahoo and even
the story behind his iconic mask, this will be a good listen! This
interview is stuffed full of Noob Spearo community questions, get
valuable knowledge and wisdom from a spearo that's been at it for 6
decades and still going strong!
- 00:13 Intro
- 06:40 Welcome Barry! You've been spearing for 65 years!
- 08:00 Diving in dirty water and dealing with shark attacks,
first aid and shark populations
- 17:40 Noob Spearo community questions: how do you deal with
- 21:00 How do you get back in the water after a forced
- 23:30 Your iconic mask!
- 26:35 What's the biggest change you've seen in spearing?
- 29:25 You have a particular love for hunting Wahoo
- 37:35 Tell us the story of your Aussie Reels
- 43:30 What gear did you start out with?
- 47:30 Weight belts
- 49:00 Tangled in shooting line
- 50:25 How do you subdue a big fish?
- 52:50 Trigger discipline and rubber band choice
- 56:40 Muzzle wrap
- 57:50 Belt reels
- 01:00:55 What do you do when you get to the end of your reel
- 01:02:40 Shooting a Marlin
- 01:04:30 What is your favourite piece of gear and what all is
in your dive bag?
- 01:06:40 Do you use a cray bag like a SeaSac? Tell us about
your crayfish species
- 01:09:00 How do you cook your crays?
- 01:12:15 Baldchin Groper and Parrot fish
- 01:14:25 How do you keep the stoke alive for 60 years? What
does your dive crew look like?
- 01:16:00 Family spearfishing
- 01:18:45 Spearfishing role models
- 01:21:10 Building a boat
- 01:23:40 WA people like driving long distances, do you like
boating long distance too?
- 01:25:25 Scary stories
- 01:35:40 What makes a good dive buddy for you?
- 01:37:20 Spearo Q&A
- 01:42:00 Outro
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes