Mar 29, 2022
Interview with Samuel Mumford
Today's interview is with Samuel Mumford, the frothing Cornish
Muso spearo living down under! Growing up in Cornwall, he started
spearfishing, frankly by punching them with a blunt speargun. Have
a listen to the episode to hear his experience with the Mike Tyson
Speargun! From almost getting drowned by a crab to the infamous
Cornish Sea Turtle, he has some great tips for hunting fish like
Dhufish and Mangrove Jack and has a lot of knowledge other spearos
can learn from. With a great attitude and a clear and obvious love
for the ocean, we think you will enjoy today's episode with Samuel
out his music here!
- 00:13 Intro
- 01:50 Mitch Noober Story
- 07:05 Welcome Samuel Mumford!
- 08:05 You perform at night and spearfish during the day
- 09:00 What is your daily spearfishing like?
- 11:35 Growing up in Cornwall
- 12:20 The Mike Tyson speargun!
- 17:00 Respect the learning curve
- 19:10 A memorable catch
- 23:30 East coast vs west coast of Austrailia
- 26:20 Who are you diving with these days?
- 27:35 The Dhufish
- 29:05 Mangrove Jack hunting tips
- 35:00 What motivates you to spearfish?
- 36:50 Getting confident cooking fish
- 38:30 What about raw fish and ceviche?
- 41:35 99 Spearo Recipes
- 42:35 Introducing mates to spearfishing and drawing on
knowledge from line fishing
- 44:15 What do you look for when hunting?
- 46:55 Garlic Buttered Western Cray with Med Salad recipe from
99 Spear Recipes
- 48:35 Scary stuff: Almost taken out by a crab!
- 53:45 Funny stuff: The Cornish Sea Turtle
- 55:55 What's in your dive bag?
- 57:45 With your expensive Salvimar Hero 115 Speargun, are you
prepared to drop it if you need to?
- 59:10 What grinds your gears about the spearfishing
- 01:03:15 What are WA's fisheries like?
- 01:06:15 Plastic fins
- 01:11:25 Spearo Q&A
- 01:15:40 Thank you for being on the show @SamTheWaterman!
- 01:16:05 Outro
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes