Mar 15, 2022
Interview with Matthew Novakovich
Today's interview is with Matthew Novakovich, the man behind Ocean
State Spearguns! Born out of seeing a need that he could fulfill,
Ocean State Spearguns are hand-crafted timber spearguns that can be
customized to your liking! Want a big mid-handle 5 band blue water
speargun? Or how about a short speargun for low viz diving and
shooting in caves? Matthew has you covered! Starting as a small
hobby, he gave Cameron Kirkconnell one of his spearguns to test and
he's been making more ever since! Doing most of his diving in the
usually dirty and cold Atlantic, he has learned a thing or two
about making robust spearguns that work well and look good while
doing it. Check out OceanStateSpearguns.com
to see what he's doing!
He has some great insights into barotrauma and has a story about
how it almost ended his diving career but more importantly - how he
responded. If you have a barotrauma and are being told you'll never
dive again then give the Divers Alert Network (DAN) a call! Visit
their website Dan.org and view all
of their medical info here! Not all injuries are
- 00:13 Intro
- 02:30 Hello and welcome Matthew!
- 03:55 You have some nice fish over there like Tautog
- 05:00 David Hochman
- 05:55 Tell us about Ocean State Spearguns
- 11:15 How do you make your spearguns?
- 12:40 How many spearguns are you making? Are you making
spearguns full time?
- 15:00 So you started spearfishing again after 15 years!
- 16:15 What are your diving conditions like?
- 18:00 Did you just shoredive? What type of diving are you
- 19:50 What was a memorable fish to hunt?
- 21:22 Colour grading your footage
- 23:25 Striped bass?
- 26:30 Biggest obstacles you faced starting again
- 30:40 How much time did your efforts take to benefit your
- 31:30 Did your dive buddies progress with you or were some more
- 35:00 Is your dad spearfishing now too?
- 36:55 Scary stuff: Barotrauma
- 40:00 Pin holes in wetsuit ears
- 41:00 What did the doctor say? You can never dive again!
- 42:00 What did the DAN doctors say? Yes you probably can! Dive
medicine is sometimes more specialized than most doctors have
- 49:30 What's next with Ocean State Spearguns? Rollers?
- 52:30 Social media
- 54:20 Componants
- 57:05 Shafts
- 57:50 Do you any do any off-shore bluewater diving?
- 58:40 Do you get a guide when traveling?
- 59:40 Travel speargun?
- 01:01:40 Funny stuff
- 01:04:50 What gear is in your dive bag? Mako and Salvimar
- 01:06:00 Mako fiberglass fins
- 01:07:10 How long is your 'warm' season?
- 01:08:15 Spearo Q&A
- 01:10:00 The speargun building community is great! Where should
people look to find out more?
- 01:11:00 Thank you for being on the show!
- 01:11:45 Outro
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes