Mar 10, 2022
Interview with Will Brunker
Today's interview is with Will Brunker of Aquagat! An innovator
in the speargun world, Will has developed several unique and
bespoke designs and components for spearguns! Colourful, tough and
functional! He gave up his day job to go into making spearguns and
components full time and has been making it work! We don't talk
much about his spearfishing journey but we sure do geek out about
spearguns, from designing them to making custom and unique parts
and everything in between. Today's episode is a great one for
anyone interested in making their own parts or gear. Be sure to
check out Aquagat.com for all the
great gear he makes!
- 00:13 Intro
- 03:30 How to write a guest recommendation! Welcome Will!
- 06:00 You have made a lot of innovation with different
- 07:30 How did you start building spearguns and how do you do
- 09:30 Aquagat is a great name!
- 12:05 How long have you been doing this?
- 16:15 How do you manage the balance between work, family and
- 18:55 What does your spearfishing look like at the moment?
- 22:25 Mentorship mentality
- 24:45 Early lessons and experiences in the water
- 26:45 Dry training
- 28:05 Speargun accuracy and pool testing
- 31:15 How do you aim?
- 32:55 How long should it take to get used to a new
- 36:50 Taking your ego out of it
- 39:40 Let's talk about your spearguns and components
- 46:00 Keeping your intellectual property safe and R&D
- 51:51 Buying cheap gear - the poor man pays twice!
- 54:30 Tell us about your reels, how many designs did you go
through until it worked?
- 59:35 Do you get many Noob Spearos or mostly experienced
- 01:01:50 "Where form meets function"
- 01:05:45 Who do you get your speargun inspiration from?
- 01:07:15 Tell us about your inverted speargun
- 01:12:30 How hard are they to load?
- 01:14:00 D
- 01:18:10 How to ballast your speargun
- 01:21:00 Changing the setup too soon
- 01:24:15 Should spearos have different spearguns?
- 01:27:25 Bluewater gun rental
- 01:29:10 Consistency in rubber bands
- 01:31:25 14mm bands vs thicker ones
- 01:35:30 Tell us some of your funny stories!
- 01:41:25 How often are you diving and what all is in your dive
- 01:42:23 Innegra DiveR fins, Ocra footpockets, in-house
prototype wetsuit 3.5mm and 5mm. Magnesium supplement and
- 01:47:15 Advice for new spearfishing creators
- 01:50:10 Spearo Q&A
- 01:52:25 Thank you for being on the show Will!
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes