Oct 20, 2021
Interview with Brian Fern
Today's interview is with Brian Fern, aka @Unkolearnuhow from
Hawaii! He has a genuine wealth of knowledge on gear and diving
from his almost 40 years of spearfishing with a particular mindset
towards sustainability and safety. In Hawaii, spearfishing is seen
as more of a lifestyle than a sport - that shows in the way he
speaks about spearfishing and guides others into it. He is a big
advocate for buddy diving and gives us some actionable tips on how
to dive safely and more effectively, how to handle Noob Spearos
that don't know much about safety and how to confront experienced
spearos that have unsafe dive practices. He even has some advice on
avoiding and treating ciguatera poisoning! Have a listen and let us
know what you think! We need to get Brian back for a 2nd episode,
we didn't have time to get through everything we wanted to speak
- 00:13 Intro
- 01:50 Spencer Allen on 99 Spearo Recipes
- 04:53 Hello and welcome Brian!
- 06:24 Spearfishing in Hawaii is more of a lifestyle than a
- 08:08 Hawaiians seem very connected to their environment, is
this true or just the tourists view?
- 10:40 Invasive species
- 12:25 Ciguatera poisoning
- 13:34 What was your experience of that and how did you treat
- 16:11 Alcohol and coffee making the symptoms worse
- 17:11 When did you start spearfishing?
- 19:12 Pole spears
- 21:42 There's no such thing as a shit fish, only a shit cook -
do you agree?
- 22:17 Staple fish species
- 23:40 You have super clear water which presents it's own
- 25:40 How did you develop your freediving to be able to hunt
those fish and be safe?
- 28:50 "I want to dive like Ryan Myers - how long will that take
me to learn?"
- 33:10 Learning to be patient
- 36:15 Diving with better divers
- 38:37 What about diving with someone that doesn't listen to
- 40:32 Learning through time and observation - how to not suck
- 41:30 Diving with bad buddies - have a game plan on the
- 42:54 How do you dive with people who can't dive as deep as you
- 44:10 How do you confront experienced divers that have bad dive
practices? The dangers of experience and ego
- 47:40 Wrapping up buddy diving - have a partner that's at
or just above your skill level
- 49:18 Struggling to do one up and one down? Dive with 1
- 51:51 Understanding variable conditions - what do spearos need
to understand about reading conditions?
- 54:03 How do people find spearing mentors in Hawaii?
- 55:59 Spearfishing clubs
- 57:27 How do you confront people that have decided that they
- 58:16 Conditions: you need to learn from local divers - talk to
- 01:00:03 Online weather resources
- 01:00:56 How do you know when you are too deep?
- 01:03:22 The right equipment for the right job
- 01:05:19 Financial barrier to entry - if you have the wrong
gear, you are risking your life
- 01:08:21 Mannysub - what do you like about his gear?
Premium gear that's been well designed with great customer
- 01:11:14 Rollerguns
- 01:14:57 Before hunting with a new gun - DO SOME TARGET
PRACTICE - properly powering your gun
- 01:18:16 Pipe guns vs wood guns
- 01:20:00 Price is a big influence - rigging and using your
speargun is a big thing to learn. Mannysub gives you instruction
manuals with their spearguns
- 01:21:32 Mannysub roller conversion kit - Brian is the US and
- 01:23:04 How do people reach out and find you and your gear?
Rollerspearguns.com and unkolearnuhow.com
- 01:23:56 We are out of time - thanks for being on the
- 01:24:44 Outro
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes