Sep 8, 2021
Interview with Lyndsay Lyon from Ocean Guardian
Today's interview is with Lyndsay Lyon from Ocean Guardian,
originally and probably better known as SharkShield! They make a
range of products that are designed to make ocean activities safer
and to decrease the amount of shark attacks on humans. It works by
creating an electrical field that surrounds the diver or surfer
that causes a distinct and noticeable reaction in certain types of
sharks (namely the ones we humans have trouble with, Great White,
Bull Shark, Tiger Shark) and causes them to turn away. Now, making
a product that aims to stop shark attacks is a big claim and needs
to be backed up by solid evidence and rigorous testing. We had a
ton of questions from our community asking the questions that
everyone wants to know: Will this stop a Great White from biting
me? How close do the sharks need to get for these products to work?
Can I trust my life to this?
If you are wondering at all about any of these questions, have a
listen to this episode and it will answer all these and more! In
the links below are several videos of these products being tested
and you can see for yourself just how effective they are.
- 00:14 Intro
- 05:00 Hello Lyndsay! Where did the name change come from?
- 06:42 How did you get involved with Terra Australis and Andre
- 07:50 Terra Australis did a test with the surf board
- 09:00 Tell us about how sharks sense the world and how Ocean
Guardian affects sharks
- 10:47 Do they see in colour?
- 12:12 What scientific studies have been done? Many marine
animals use electrical fields
- 15:14 What is the effective range?
- 17:44 What is the shark's physiological reaction to the
- 18:35 Has anyone been bitten while wearing one? What guarantee
- 21:15 National Geographic has a good video on this with Chris
- 23:15 Use this as a risk mitigation strategy
- 24:07 What species are they most effective on? Only 3 main
sharks that are a real concern to humans, Great Whites, Bull and
- 25:41 Oceanic White Tips and Reef sharks and Mako's, are they
effective against them?
- 27:04 Installing the device into your fins
- 28:33 Have you thought about partnering with fin companies? Why
a fin isn't the best option
- 30:10 Sharkbanz
- 31:00 Handheld device for spearos
- 32:14 Problemswith the first handheld Sharkshield
- 33:53 We are in a very small industry
- 37:06 Version 2.0 of the ESpear
- 38:15 Surfers are the highest risk
- 38:45 Bubbles also scare sharks
- 39:24 Shark barrier to replace shark nets
- 39:56 Does this interfere with other animals?
- 41:01 Government perspective on drum lines and shark nets
- 43:00 WA government actually gives you money to buy shark
- 43:58 Shark Eyes
- 46:20 Is there a maximum size shark it will work on?
- 48:00 Does 1 diver wearing this device put the others at a
- 50:26 Hanging the device on your float or stringer
- 51:32 What are the long term effects on humans at depth?
- 53:21 Sharks seem to be more aggressive on the surface
- 54:52 I see more sharks with my shield on than without
- 56:40 The inverse square law and how far the field can be
- 57:39 Sharks can only sense electrical fields about 50cm
- 01:00: Does the device emit a vibration?
- 01:00:55 Can these devices aggravate the sharks more?
- 01:02:46 Practicalities of using this in kelp or on coral
- 01:04:44 Floating the device
- 01:06:45 How has Covid affected your business?
- 01:08:33 Adding an interchangeable battery
- 01:09:47 Shock protection?
- 01:11:23 Helping shark attack survivors get back into the
water: The Bite Club on Facebook
- 01:15:13 How do you store the device?
- 01:16:00 How do you check the charge?
- 01:17:23 Auto-inflating vest for black out protection
- 01:18:30 What reduces the effectiveness?
- 01:20:09 How does it attach to you?
- 01:20:58 When will you have stock again and where can I buy
them + servicing
- 01:22:57 Warranty
- 01:25:08 What is the future for Ocean Guardian?
- 01:26:26 What's your ultimate vision for Ocean Guardian?
- 01:28:32 Outro
- 01:29:51 Noober Stories
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes