Aug 26, 2021
Interview with Chris Coatesman
How to upgrade your speargun and miss less fish! Today's episode
is with the Coatesman, Chris Coates! He and Shrek talk about
accurizing, it is a word, your speargun and go through common
speargun problems. We rely heavily on our gear when spearfishing,
this episode is all about making sure your hardware is working as
best as it can. Roller guns vs traditional spearguns, barbs, bent
shafts and everything you need to know to upgrade your speargun,
aim better and miss less fish! Interested in roller guns? He has
been the authority on roller's for a while now and has released a
great video series on Youtube and his website called Unrolling The Roller, it's
everything you need to know about roller guns!
What accuracy issues have you experienced? How did you solve
them? Let us know in the comments!
- 00:14 Welcome to the show
- 05:15 Welcome back Chris Coatesman!
- 06:09 Spearfishing equipment cannot come back through the
- 08:28 Every spearo has accuracy issues
- 09:53 The difference between weekend warriors and competitive
- 11:02 First place to look, is your shaft straight?
- 12:15 I dive with at least 2 guns
- 14:20 Using the correct shaft
- 16:39 Why I use Rob Allen gear
- 19:08 Bro science vs engineering, practicality trumps the
- 24:15 When buying a gun, make sure the shaft is aligned
- 25:11 I don't make shafts and I don't have handles
- 27:10 The downsides of homemade gear, don't just make things
cheaper, make them better
- 30:57 Next thing to look at is tuning your barb
- 33:20 There is a reason you work through troubleshooting in a
- 35:30 Wishbones and shooting line, dyneema vs mono
- 44:42 Keep your guns the same
- 46:39 You can't compare speargun prices to other sports. A
speargun will last you 10 years if you do it right
- 48:27 Remove all doubt, have gear you can rely on. Carry spare
- 53:20 Fail fast and move on. Know where the issue is
- 55:22 Aiming tips and techniques
- 57:10 "Bad spearfishing shoot small fish"
- 58:19 Barret Harvey has a
great aiming video
- 01:00:34 What aiming style do you use?
- 01:05:22 Different techniques for different situations
- 01:07:44 Pool shooting for confidence
- 01:01:32 Don't wait for your gear to fail for you to take
- 01:16:38 Thank you for being on the show Chris!
- 01:19:43 Outro and final thoughts
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes