May 21, 2021
Interview with Bert Keulder - The Old Man Blue
Today's interview is with Bert Keulder - the Old Man Blue, as
you may know him. He's done everything you can think of in the
water, including being tossed into the air by a Great White shark!
A well traveled, highly experienced spearo that is deeply in love
with the ocean, he has done it all and has an absolute wealth of
knowledge from his years growing up near Cape Town, South Africa
and living, working and spearfishing all around the world
throughout his life. We chat about his early childhood days being
dragged around the kelp forests in the Atlantic on an inflated car
tube, his days in the military playing underwater hockey to when he
worked as a diamond miner along the West Coast of Africa, to living
and diving in Fiji with commercial fishermen until finally settling
down in WA where he lives and dives today. He is an excellent
resource and spearos of any experience level can learn a lot from
him. He also makes exceptionally high quality dive gear that is
designed to work well and not stop working for a long, long time.
If he can give you one piece of advice, ENJOY your diving, be
relaxed and take your time and really enjoy the experience.
Let us know what you think of today's episode and be sure to check
out Old Man Blue's
- 00:20 Intro
- 04:00 Welcome to Bert and chat about Aqualyte
- 06:02 Official welcome and Ben's email
- 07:50 Old Man Blue gear review
- 10:14 Estuary Cod bag design
- 11:24 Aqualyte
- 13:42 Eating and preparing for a dive day
- 15:21 How old are you - reflecting back on life
- 17:00 How did you start diving?
- 18:42 How has the ocean affected you?
- 20:40 Childhood diving and getting dragged around the kelp
- 22:52 Hunting Red Steenbras
- 24:10 My Octopus Teacher
- 25:52 Eric J Anderson episode
- 26:38 Diving alone
- 28:26 Younger divers vs the older generation
- 29:42 Stages of progression in your spearfishing
- 30:37 Diving today vs back in the day
- 33:07 Equipment
- 36:21 The evolution of spearfishing equipment
- 37:00 Emphasis on tools vs skills
- 38:14 The "scarcity mindset"
- 40:18 Bert's unsinkable dive boat - The Hallubaloo
- 43:10 Becoming a boat captain
- 45:04 Diving the inshore reefs
- 45:16 Best advice to prospective boat buyers
- 45:58 The Hallubaloo
- 46:46 Sage advice
- 47:00 Tell us about your boat
- 48:23 Rules on the boat
- 49:33 Sustainability and sharing spots
- 50:15 Don't be a cowboy
- 53:16 Sharing fish on the boat
- 54:26 Spearfishing as a team sport
- 56:11 A quick story with some more sage advice - the ocean will
give you gifts
- 57:08 Bert's days in the military
- 58:44 Seal/Duiker Island in Houtbay
- 60:46 Diamond diving
- 64:06 Can I go dive for my own diamonds?
- 65:42 Travelling
- 69:39 The logo and Old Man Blue ethos
- 75:20 Hunting fish in WA
- 79:44 How do you slow yourself down?
- 82:38 Getting stuck and dealing with panic
- 84:43 Funny stories
- 89:39 Spearo Q&A:
Single best piece of advice you've received
Who is the most influential spearo for you?
What is the spearfishing experience in one sentence?
- 92:35 Final advice
- 93:50 Bert's experience with sharks and getting tossed into the
air by a Great White shark
- 100:10 Shrek's closing words
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes