Jun 21, 2020
The Path Of The Jedi – The Benthic Boys - Mike Pooler
and Joe D’Agostino
Mike Pooler is the owner/operator of Benthic Ocean Sports in
Destin, Florida; and Joe D’Agostino is his chief Freediving
Instructor International (FII) Instructor there. Benthic Ocean
Sports services all freediving Spearo needs for the Florida
Panhandle and South-East US with the highest quality hardware from
all over the world. These guys are an FII-accredited institution
and are absolute legends! They instruct Levels 1 & 2, a Waterman
Survival Course, and a Spearfishing Course, among many others that
they do privately for some of the military folks in the FL
Mike and Joe are seasoned Spearos and have had some *seriously*
impressive Pelagics on the other end of their spearguns! These guys
shoot some of the largest and most epic fish available in Gulf of
Mexico waters, and his Chief Instructor Joe D'Agostino instructs
and travels throughout the freediving and spearfishing community
worldwide. We’re sure you’re going to enjoy this conversation!
11:00 Early Obstacles
14:00 What is “Benthic”?
15:00 How did you get involved and put together
as a Freediving Shop?
16:00 The Path Of The Jedi
22:00 Favorite species to hunt…tune in for the
Panhandle’s most desirable species
27:00 FL Panhandle’s Freedive Spearo Club –
30:00 Tough situations out in Blue Water
44:00 - Veterans Vault: Dyneema vs Mono |
Timber vs Pipe | Equipment Discussion
- Americans with wood guns and mono…what are you guys doing?
- The Benthic Boys think Dyneema is the right stuff – why?
- Line memory – what is it?
- Critical knots to use and why.
- “Game Changer” - what’s a quick-disconnect knot and why’s it
- Line management and tangles
- Reels vs. Floatlines
- Reel Gun safety – Tension, tension, tension!
- Don’t be married to your equipment - “You can buy a new gun,
you can’t buy a new Mike!”
- The importance of education and safety within the freedive
- Best Buddy Practices – “Finality is Reality”
- Minimum safety requirements – One up-One down, learn your
buddy’s “dive profile”
- Courses offered at Benthic Ocean Sports (FII Levels 1 and 2,
Waterman Course, Spearfishing Course
- The mental and physical benefits to spearfishing
70:00 Funniest moments out on the water
71:00 “The Yankee who shat in his wetsuit”
73:00 Critical items in Mike’s dive bag
76:55 Benthic equipment in the shop
80:00 Spearo Q&A
- What separates you from other spearos?
- What is the spearfishing destination you’d most like to
- Most influential person in your spearfishing journey?
Noob Spearo Partners + Promotions
- Ted Harty’s Roadmap to Frenzel – Get full
access to the Roadmap to Frenzel equalizing class (If you can’t
frenzel in 30 days, get a full refund!) 15% Discount Code go to
Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here.
Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20
on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate,
especially in AUS!
Immersion Online freediving classes
- 28-day Freediving Transformation. Want to
increase your bottom time? Want to lower your comfortable operating
depth? Want to increase your breath hold? In 4 weeks, you can
transform your physiology to improve your performance as a free
diver. Learn the proven strategies competitive free divers
use to strengthen their performance.
- Equalization Masterclass. If you are
free diver who struggles to equalize your ears in the 15-30 ft
range this course is the answer. 14 videos discuss every equalizing
problem and coach you through the difficulty. Say goodbye to
Valsalva and hello to Frenzel and make equalizing easy.
- Tuesday Ted Talks Freediving. 19 one-hour live
Instagram episodes where I discuss a variety of freediving topics
and answer peoples question live on Instagram.
- Free online courses – How to take a 20-30%
bigger breath and how to make the mammalian dive reflex work for
you. www.FreedivingSafety.com –
Free online safety resource.
- View all of Ted’s online freediving classes @ www.onlineclasses.ImmersionFreediving.com
Connect with Benthic Ocean Sports