Apr 15, 2020
The Timber Speargun Build Episode
From concept to shooting fish with Ed Martin from Killshot
03:30 Ed Martin from Killshot Spearguns Introduction and all
about the Florida Keys (his store is in Islamorada).
- Water Temps
- Depths and bottom structure
- Seasonal issues
- Common species
16:00 The rationale behind this Wooden Speargun DIY build
episode + Ed Martins spearfishing background and the Killshot
23:25 Errol “What are the pros/cons of Wood VS Pipe
speargun in your mind?
Duncan Henderson also asks “Why do you choose to work
with wooden guns? whats the advantages in your
27:50 CONCEPTING AND PLANNING | Making your first
- What are the crucial decisions to make before you start?
- SearchingForTheEdge on the spearfishing Subreddit advised
prospective gun builders that the number one key is to build your
gun around your spear. Don't try to build a gun and then later try
to find a spear for it. It's much easier and faster to buy the
spear and use it for all the measurements. Is this good
- Sven Franklin "what is the ideal shaft overhang
length as this varies from company to company and personal
opinion among spearos?"
- Joe Pedro "Enclosed track vs open track, how
to decide which is best for certain fish targeting setups?"
- Can we borrow or steal some ideas from the best
48:20 SPEARGUN MATERIALS
- Composite vs Solid one piece?
- Wood types? Mahogany, Sepo, Teak etc
- Glue? Resin? Sealant? Epoxy? What is the difference?
- Making a test gun
- What components should I buy rather than make myself? How do
you make these choices? Where is a good place for buying
- To safety or not to safety?
- What tools do I require? What tools do I desire? Clamps,
jigsaw, dropsaw, mitresaw, cordless drill, gloves, plastic,
straight edge, file, masking tape, rubber for relieving clamping
pressure, tape measure, belt sander, verniers, small chisel,
router, drill press
66:15 How much time does it take to make a speargun?
69:00 Buoyancy and ballast | How do we work this out?
74:40 Daniel Mann "Why is oil a terrible choice to finish a
79:00 Care and maintenance
80:30 Duncan also asks “What are the common problems with
people's homemade wooden guns?"
92:00 Rubber Powerbands
- How often do you replace them?
- Wishbones - the horror of metal wishbones
Noob Spearo Partners + Promotions