Mar 21, 2020
NSP:118 Ricardo Raposo | The BrasilaSpearo
This episode covers Ricardo’s spearfishing experience from soup
to nuts. Ranging from his Father teaching him some original spearo
concepts to tossing his children a mask and snorkel, you’ll have to
listen to learn about everything in-between!
Big thanks to Ricardo for sharing his spearfishing experience
with the NS community!
Rio De Janeiro, and what being a spear there implicates. His
father is a prominent figure in his early spearfishing experiences!
Ricardo has been spearing since about 10 years old! He’s currently
passing on the talent to his daughter starting with a snorkeling
trip to Mexico in Playa Del Carmen! If we could all be so lucky to
have a Pops like that!
10:00 Early struggles spearfishing
- Learning hunting techniques – practice, trial, and error
- Diving in an informed location – marine conservation in Brazil
is relatively new
- Learned early on to look for groups of spearos – a tip from
- Learning how to hunt Parrotfish!
- Learning how to deal with sharks…!
26:00 Memorable catches
The fish I’m most proud of, a hunt in Indonesia, staying at a
Surf Resort. Giant Trevally, no reel, no buoy, the fish was pulling
me down. It was an absolutely epic fight! Ricardo also enjoys
hunting (and eating) Grouper; they’re a big target species in
35:00 Veterans Vault: The Importance of
- “I never knew about the risks involved when I started, but
listening to other spearos and spearo communities has really
informed me about how unsafe my diving actually was.”
- Keeping the snorkel out of mouth during dives
- Concentration and rest – “When it’s too easy, it’s time to
- Meditate/relax prior to, and during dives. Lower your heart
- Proper knife positioning is important – you never know when
you’ll have difficulty accessing your tools during a dive
- Always dive with safety-conscious buddies! Even though we
always know we are supposed to do so, we often slip into bad
- Pay attention to your bottom times, and always, *always*
exercise proper top time
- Sustainability – a proper code of ethics is always a good idea.
Look after your environment, pick up after yourself, and above all
be a good steward of wildlife and natural resources
- Be selective about hunting, follow your instincts and only
shoot what’s legal and proper
- Use the whole fish (Whole fish cookbook made by some blokes in
52:00 Equipment Bag
New Hammerhead Mask w/GoPro mount on the top. Had some issues
initially, but I finally got it working properly. Composite OMER
fins, generic dive knives, and recently got a new gun. RIFFE travel
gun that deconstruct with a threaded shaft that also comes
57:00 Connecting with Ricardo
Noob Spearo Partners + Promotions
- Ted Harty’s Roadmap to Frenzel – Get full
access to the Roadmap to Frenzel equalizing class (If you can’t
frenzel in 30 days, get a full refund!) 15% Discount Code go to
Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here.
Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20
on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate,
especially in AUS!
Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine
in the world. International subscription available!
Penetrator Fins Use the code
NOOBSPEARO to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing
Immersion Online freediving classes @
- 28-day Freediving Transformation. Want to
increase your bottom time? Want to lower your comfortable operating
depth? Want to increase your breath hold? In 4 weeks, you can
transform your physiology to improve your performance as a free
diver. Learn the proven strategies competitive free divers
use to strengthen their performance.
- Equalization Masterclass. If you are
free diver who struggles to equalize your ears in the 15-30 ft
range this course is the answer. 14 videos discuss every equalizing
problem and coach you through the difficulty. Say goodbye to
Valsalva and hello to Frenzel and make equalizing easy.
- Tuesday Ted Talks Freediving. 19 one-hour live
Instagram episodes where I discuss a variety of freediving topics
and answer peoples question live on Instagram.
- Free online courses – How to take a 20-30%
bigger breath and how to make the mammalian dive reflex work for
you. www.FreedivingSafety.com –
Free online safety resource.
- View all of Ted’s online freediving classes @