Mar 8, 2020
Interview with Catherine Sayce
Catherine Sayce is a Kiwi airline attendant/insta speara star
renown for her sharp sense of humour and self-deprecating wit.
She's also New Zealand most disqualified female spearo - and we
talk about how to avoid this in the Veterans Vault and have some
good laughs along the way. Listen out for some great info on
hunting Wahoo. Download
this episode and 116 just like it right here.
Links Mentioned in this Episode
- Noob Spearo Community on Facebook
- Noob Spearo on Patreon https://www.patreon.com/noobspearo
- North Florida Shootout Spearfishing competition
- Freshwater World Spearfishing Competition
Interview Guide + time stamps
08:00 Catherine meet and greet. Background and banter
11:30 Introduction to spearfishing. "Grabbing my fear by the
balls" - Catherine Sayce
15:00 Awesome dive buddies
15:40 International spearfishing trips | Forrest Gallante
24:00 Most Memorable Fish Capture | Wahoo - get closer!
"(With Wahoo) Don't make eye contact with the fish but check out
all the detail in the fish's eye" - Catherine Sayce
32:00 What does THOT mean? Duncan Henderson
34:20 What is the toughest situation you've had out
44:00 Veterans Vault: Avoiding Disqualification in
- Paying attention at briefing
- Monitoring times (particularly time back at ramp, time at
- Time management (wear a dive watch)
- Read the competition rules
51:00 Fish Identification | Learning the species, the rules and
regulations governing their capture. Also how to identify in water
and spend the time to correctly identify the fish before squeezing
55:00 Shark Controversy Discussion
62:00 Funniest Moment Spearfishing | Poo Rock and Prizes
65:00 What's in your spearfishing dive bag?
68:00 Spearo Q&A
- Who have been the most influential people in your
- What is your next fish goal?
72:00 Concluding remarks and wisdom:)
Connect with Catherine on Instagram
Noob Spearo Partners + Promotions
EVERY Online Immersion (Ted Harty) class available
- 28-day Freediving Transformation – Want to
increase your bottom time? Want to lower your comfortable operating
depth? Want to increase your breath hold? In 4 weeks, you can
transform your physiology to improve your performance as a free
diver. Additionally, learn the proven strategies competitive
free divers use to strengthen their performance.
- Equalization Masterclass – If you are
free diver who struggles to equalize your ears in the 15-30 ft
range this course is the answer. 14 videos discuss every equalizing
problem and coach you through the difficulty. Say goodbye to
Valsalva and hello to Frenzel and make equalizing easy.
- Tuesday Ted Talks Freediving – 19 one-hour
live Instagram episodes where I discuss a variety of freediving
topics and answer peoples question live on Instagram.
- Free online courses – How to take a 20-30%
bigger breath and how to make the mammalian dive reflex work for
you. www.FreedivingSafety.com –
Free online safety resource.
- View all of Ted’s online freediving classes @